21 October 2019, Monday, 2:08
We are in the same boat

Officials Explain Why Pigs Starved To Death At Big Farm

Officials Explain Why Pigs Starved To Death At Big Farm

The law-enforcers released the CEOr.

Representatives of the Homel regional executive committee told why pigs dead from starvation at the Zarechcha farm in Rahachou: it turns out that neither the CEO nor the local authorities could do anything - it was the drought and lack of money to blame. Also, tut.by learnt that CEO of the complex Viktar Mamuryn, detained on May 29, was released.

Last year, crop failure occurred in the Homel region due to drought, and many farms had to buy food. The more successful ones managed to do it themselves, those that were weaker, took out loans, and the banks denied loans to deeply indebted enterprises, such as Zarechcha.

At the end of April, they say at the regional executive committee, the Committee on Agriculture and Food developed a scheme for financing the purchase of grain for the region's pig farms through the Rahachou Grain Reception Point. After complying with all legal formalities, the organization began to actively declare on the exchange tradings for the purchase of grain for Zarechcha.

- However, neither on May 3, nor on May 10, even with the condition of 100% prepayment, there were no offers. Only on May 15 at the auction we managed to purchase a batch of grain, it should have been enough for five days. Following the auction on May 22 and May 24, they bought grain for another 10 days of operation of the complex. In total, at the end of May, they bought food for Zarechcha farm for 21 days, explain local officials.

Important to note, the workers of the Zarechcha farm stated that pigs die of hunger in their own farm. According to them, last year the crop failed due to a drought. And there was no money to buy feed for the enterprise. As a result, 60,000 swine were exhausted and starving to death. It was also impossible to sell the hungry pigs, and not to torture them: “They don’t take meat from meat processing plants below 105 kg, and our fattest ones were barely 60 kg,” explained the workers. They do not blame the CEO of the farm in the current situation. They say that he took office only five months ago - that is, he did not take part in the preparation of feed.

After the publication in the media, employees of the Department for Combating Economic Crimes arrived, checks began, and the CEO was detained. Presumably, he spent 72 hours in the temporary detention facility. In the morning of June 1, Viktar Mamuryn confirmed that he was free, and refused to give any other comments.